"The beginning is the most important part of the work."
The week before Christmas I put my laptop away and boxed up my office in anticipation for installing my new office desk, thus started a multi-week break from work as the carpenter I had engaged with to work on the desk didn't deliver it until January the second.
It feels weird to finally be back online and nice to finally have my office finished. I have spent the majority of this first week of the year back at work deep into AWS CDK shenanigans, working out what we need to do in order to automate our deployment.
Before now, I had never used the AWS CDK and to begin with it was quite intimidating however I did have an excellent starting platform as someone had written a lot of boilerplate before handing the project over to me.
In the following weeks I will be deploying a massive feature that has had over a year of almost continuous work put into it. It's likely to be a bumpy ride, however at least I will know that the CI/CD side of things is going to be rock solid.
Joke of the week
Question: Why do programmers always mix up Halloween and Christmas?
Answer: Because Oct 31 == Dec 25!
Notable Articles Read
- Why is this interesting? The World's Most Dangerous Toy Edition: On fun, danger, and 70s airplane toys
- Dan's thoughts: How much work do we actually work?
- 0xHiro: Emulating an emulator inside itself. Meet Blink
Notable Videos Watched
- c90adventures: Will the mini jeep make it to Moab? This was the first I had heard of c90 adventures and I thoroughly enjoyed watching every episode of this series. I look forward to seeing more updates.
- Scott Manley: The Computer Designed To Die In Microseconds, another genuinely interesting video from Scott, this time about collecting data from Nuclear warhead tests.